Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid Miah was born in a respectable Muslim family of Pabna district. This brilliant banker of the country achieved his post-graduation degree in Economics from Rajshahi University in 1974. He started his career as Research Officer in Food & Nutrition Science Department in Dhaka University in 1976. In 1979, he joined as Research Officer in the Central Bank. He also served in different capacities in Planning Commission, Bangladesh Tea Board , Bangladesh Krishi Bank, Agrani Bank Ltd., Sonali Bank Ltd., Bangladesh Development Bank Ltd. (former BSB) and Rupali Bank Ltd. for several years. To make his profession more poignant, he earned his M.Sc degree in Development Economics from the famous University, Bradford University in UK in 1986. As a General Manager of a large financial institution, Mr. Hamid played a pioneer role in extending agro loan to the flood affected distressed rural people of the country at the time of the devastating flood occurred in 1988 which was appreciated by all concern. Mr. Hamid has served as a General Manager in the country’s largest commercial bank Sonali Bank &Krishi Bank. He also acted as Deputy Managing Director in Agrani Bank. In the period from 2001 to 2003,Mr. Hamid served as Managing Director in the then Shilpa Bank which is now known as Bangladesh Development Bank Limited. He also served successfully in Rupali Bank as Managing Director during the period from 2003 to 2010. The Union Bank Limited, a 4th generation shariah based commercial Bank virtually formed under the direct supervision of Mr. Abdul Hamid Miah in the year 2013. As the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer utilizing his vast experience in banking sector Mr. Miah took the Bank to a splendid destination .During his tenor, the Bank was in 1st position among 9 newly established Banks.
Mr. Hamid in his career life also acted as Director of the following companies:
• Arif Habib Bank Ltd., Karachi, Pakistan,
• First Security Islami Bank Ltd.,
• Investment Corporation of Bangladesh (ICB)
• First Security Islami Capital & Investment Ltd.
Award from professional fields or otherwise :
• Mr. Hamid was awarded Gold Medal for excellent banking activities from “Dhara Shahittiya Shanskritik Sangho”,Dhaka.
• He received gold medal from Economic Association of Rajshahi University in 2007 for his outstanding performances & contributions in banking & economic areas.
• He also received “Arthonoitik Performance Award-2009” from Artho Banijjo, a reputed periodical
While Mr. Abdul Hamid Miah was the Managing Director,Rupali Bank Ltd. got Best IT use Award-2005.
Under MR. Miah’s leadership Union Bank Ltd.:
• Awarded 4th Generation best bank in Bangladesh– Business Asia Award 2013
• Received Business Excellence Award 2014 -- Business Asia, Singapore
• Grabbed International Quality Summit (IQS) Award 2014 – New York, USA
• Got European Society for Quality Research (ESQR) Quality Achievement Award 2014 – London, UK
• awarded as “Quality Ambassador” for the period 2016 to 2018 from BID and BID group one Madrid, Spain.
• Aachieved Gold Award in the year 2016 as Islamic Bank of the year Bangladesh by ISLAMIC FINANCE FORUM OF SOUTH ASIA (IFFSA) under my direct supervision as Managing Director.
He also travelled many countries of the globe for professional purposes.
Mr. Abdul Hamid MIah joined The Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited as on 9 January 2017.It is expected that the Bank will forge ahead successfully under the kinetic leadership of Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid Miah in the days to come.